Peace and Justice Centre intern Irina Erdman has been working hard to arrange for White Peace Poppies to be available at numerous locations around Edinburgh this year. A full list of venues where poppies are available is below.
White Poppies are worn in the run-up to Remembrance Day every year by thousands of people in the UK and beyond. There are three elements to the meaning of White Poppies:
1. Remember: White Poppies recall all victims of all wars, including victims of wars that are still being fought. This includes people of all nationalities. It includes both civilians and members of armed forces. Today, over 90% of people killed in warfare are civilians.
2. Stand up for peace: White Poppies symbolise the conviction that there are better ways to resolve conflict than through the use of violence. They embody values that reject killing fellow human beings for whatever reason.
3. Challenge Militarism; A message originally associated with Remembrance Day, after the first world war, was “never again”. This message slipped away. In response, White Poppies were developed in 1933 by the Co-operative Women’s Guild to affirm the message of “no more war”.
For more information on White Poppies, visit the Peace Pledge Union website.
In Edinburgh, there are a number of places which are distributing white poppies this year, including:
- The Edinburgh Peace and Justice Centre – 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh, EH1 2JN
- Quaker Meeting House – 7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh, EH1 2JL
- St Patrick’s Church Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh – 5 South Gray’s Close, 40 High Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1TQ
- St John’s Episcopal Church – Princess Street, Edinburgh, EH2 4BJ
- One World Shop – 25 Nicolson Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9BX
- Augustine United Church – 41-43 George IV Square, Edinburgh, EH1 1EL
- Macreas of Edinburgh – 208 Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, EH8 8DQ
- Forest Cafe Edinburgh – 141 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh, EH3 9JN
- The New Leaf Co-op – 23 Argyle Place, Edinburgh, EH9 1JJ
- Earthy Food and Goods – 33-41 Ratcliffe Terrace, Edinburgh, EH9 1SX
- Celtic Design – 156 Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, EH8 8DD
- Broughton High School – 29 E Fettes Ave, Edinburgh, EH4 1EG
- Protest in Harmony – Rona Gray (firstname.lastname@example.org), Portobello/ East Lothian, Edinburgh, EH33 1RW
- Just World Shop – 54 Portobello High Street, Edinburgh, EH15 1DA
- City of Edinburgh Methodist Church – 25 Nicolson Square, Edinburgh EH8 9BX
- Edinburgh University Student’ Association – Potterow, 5/2 Bristo Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9AL