With the UK Parliament set to vote Monday 18 July on renewing the Trident nuclear weapons system Demonstrations are being organised by the Scrap Trident Coalition in 30 towns and cities across Scotland at noon on Saturday 16 July calling for scrapping Trident instead.
So far the Trident No More Flash Demos have been announced from Wick to Dumfries, and from Largs to Edinburgh. The full list of locations of demonstrations and more information about how to organise a demo is here.
The Edinburgh demo will take place on The Mound at Princes St at noon.
If a Demo is not listed in your town or city why not organise one? It only takes a few people with placards or a banner to create an event.
- identify a location and let us know where that is. Contact us using the webform here.
- Chase up some local people and ask them to come to the demo. Contact friends or people through your networks, faith communities, trade unions …
- Post details of location and time on the Facebook event page.
- You can also create your own local Facebook event
- Print out or make some placards by hand and a banner if someone can bring one.
There are graphics available to download for posters placards, leaflets and social media are here.
If possible contact local media. A Template Press Release is available here. Or Draft and send out your own to local press. Or you can just ring up your local paper or radio station to a let them know the demo is one of manyTridentNoMore demos taking place across Scotland prior to the vote scheduled for Monday on Trident Replacement.
- Taliking points for talking to the media are available here.
- Leaflets are available from the Peace and Justice Centre or Scottish CND or to download from the ScrapTrident.org website.
- If you want help or advice contact the Scrap Trident Coalition via the Facebook event page here. Or via the webform here.
And please be sure to let the Scrap Trident coalition know about your plans.
For anyone who has ever opposed nuclear weapons this is a crucial moment to stand up and be counted as opposing Theresa May’s first piece of legislation – her mad plan to base nuclear weapons in Scotland for 50 more years against the express will of the people of Scotland.
We need everyone working together, from local CND, SNP, Green, Scottish Labour, SSP, Yes Groups, Radical Independence, Women for Independence, faith communities and trade unions, not forgetting MPs, MSPs and Councillors to have a huge turnout across the country.
Please JOIN and SHARE the Facebook event widely to insure as many people as possible come out.
Trident No More Demonstrations Planned so far for the following locations Sat 16th July
Aberdeen – St Nicholas Square outside Marks and Spencers (starts 11am)
Ayr – Cafe Nero
Biggar – Corn Exchange
Bowmore, Islay – Outside Royal Bank
Clydebank – Chalmers St (starts 11am)
Cromarty – Cromarty Harbour
Dumbarton – Town Centre
Dumfries – The Fountain, High St
Dundee – Albert Square
East Kilbride – Bus Station
Edinburgh – The Mound, Princes St
– outside Quaker Meeting House
– Yes Hub, Liberton Dams
Glasgow – Donald Dewar Statue, Buchanan Street
Hamilton – Top Cross
Inverness – Market Brae steps
Kelty – Main St
Kilmarnock – The Cross
Largs – Main St
Linlithgow – The Vennel
Melrose – Market Square
Paisley – Paisley Cross
Peebles – High St (11am)
Penicuik – End of Precinct
Perth – March from North Inch 11am to Queen’s Barracks
Portree – War Memorial in Square
Stirling – King St
Ullapool – The Clock, Quay St (starts 11.45am)
Wick – outside Wetherspoons